Functional MedicineA truly holistic, science-based approach to whole-person healthcare.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine is a personalized, whole-person approach to identify and addresses the root causes of disease and dysfunction. We actively listen to patients’ histories and look at the role that lifestyle, genetic influences, dietary patterns and environmental exposures can have on long- term health and complex and chronic disease. We look at both traditional labs and specialty labs when needed to identify where dysfunction lies. Functional Medicine will address the underlying dysfunction and imbalances, not just the symptoms. We use a patient-centered approach where patient and practitioner are both engaged in working in a partnership towards improved health. Our approach to treatment may involve nutrition, both dietary changes and vitamin/mineral supplementation, botanicals, detoxification, exercise, stress management, acupuncture, physical medicine and mind/body techniques. Functional Medicine can help those with chronic and complex conditions or those seeking to optimize health.
Functional medicine is built around these seven core principles:
- Acknowledging the individual biochemistry of each patient, based on concepts of genetic and environmental uniqueness.
- Incorporating a patient-centered rather than a disease-centered approach to treatment.
- Seeking a dynamic balance among the internal and external factors in a patient’s body, mind, and spirit.
- Addressing the web-like interconnections of internal physiological factors.
- Identifying health as a positive—not merely the absence of disease—and emphasizing the factors that encourage a vigorous physiology.
- Promoting organ reserve as a means of enhancing the health span, not just the life span, of each patient.
- Functional Medicine is a science-based profession pulling from leading edge research.
Conditions Treated With Functional Medicine
- Thyroid – hypothyroid, Hashimoto’s
- Digestive issues – IBS, colitis, Crohn’s, acid reflux, etc.
- Chronic Headaches
- Weight loss/weight gain
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Autoimmune conditions
- MTHFR defects
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety, Stress
- Female hormone imbalances
- Male hormone imbalances
- Allergies, Asthma
- Identifying and addressing Gluten intolerance
- Blood sugar imbalances – diabetes, hypoglycemia
- ADHD, ASD